Thomas Jefferson Memorial
- President Roosevelt asked the Commission of Fine Arts about the possibility of erecting a memorial to Thomas Jefferson. Construction went from 1938-43, & Roosevelt laid the first cornerstone himself.
- Designed by John Russell Pope, the Memorial was built between 1939 and 1943. The bronze statue of Jefferson, added in 1947, is 19ft tall and weighs 10,000lbs.
- I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. --Thomas Jefferson (inscription around the rotunda)
- Did you know? This memorial's designer, John Russell Pope, had originally drawn up plans (and was turned down) for a memorial to Theodore Roosevelt for this same location.
- Skip the long lines during the day and visit at nightwhen lit, this white marble memorial is even more magical! Powered by ParentsConnect.com
- What an incredible tribute to a great mind.
- Too bad it's illegal to dance at TJ's memorial. Jefferson would be outraged if he were alive today.
- Come here to be inspired.
- This is beautiful in the spring when the cherry blossoms are all blooming. Makes me feel very peaceful and patriotic.
- Nicknamed "Jefferson's Muffin." Domed shape bldg is based upon a structure of Jeffersons own design. Transcript error was noted on Declaration of Independence quote in 1972. More site info via<LINK>
- GREAT PLACE TO TAKE A DATE AFTER DINNER & DRINKS.
- TeamTRI Tip: Bask in the brilliant writings. Enjoy the majestic view and architecture. Then head down below the memorial to enjoy the special tributes and exhibits to Jefferson that many miss.
- My second favorite memorial in DC. Wait for construction to finish and then relax on the steps overlooking the Potomac. Quintessential DC.
- You're not allowed to practice your First Amendment at one of the Founding Father's monument/memorial.
- Beautiful at dusk/night.
- Make this your last stop and check it out at night. He looks out over the Tidal Basin for some great night-time shots.
- This memorial if ur lazy u might miss it cuz its a walk kind of out of the way of the rest but I think of the prettiest right off the water and u see all the other monuments so pretty from here
- If you look at the back, you can get a beautiful view of Tidal Basin and the Washington Memorial.
- Check in here march 29 from noon until 130 and get a free cherry blossoms map! Use #postblossoms to find us.
- What a nice place to take friends, family and visitor. If you go to D.C. Don't forget to go to Thomas Jefferson. I'm a big fan of Thomas Jefferson, I like all his art works, his saying & architectures