For our June Pasta Spotlight, we sat down with Dennis Prescott. Dennis is a food blogger, recipe developer and photographer, whose drool-worthy photographs make us instantly hungry when looking at them. We talked to Dennis about his love of food, his go-to meals, his favorite summer vegetables, and more! He was even generous enough to share some beginner’s tips to food styling so you too, can one day take pictures as beautiful as his. Read on to see what he had to say!
1. Your blog seemed to come out of nowhere, but you’ve already amassed a large, loyal following in the “foodiesphere”! How did you start blogging?
I developed a passion for both food and food photography a few years ago, and started an Instagram account to share my dishes. That developed into me also sharing recipes on my blog, after requests from friends, family, and the Instagram community. Writing the blog and being able to connect with food lovers from all over the world has been absolutely amazing.
2. Your recipes span across all different types of cuisines! Where did your love of food come from?
I was a full-time musician for several years and was able to travel all across the United States, Canada, and the UK. Traveling with my band allowed me to experience so many fantastic dishes; sushi in Vancouver, curry in London, pizza in NYC, and Pad Thai in Los Angeles. When I started cooking, my goal was to be able to recreate all of those dishes and more at home. I absolutely love the communal aspect of sharing a meal with family & friends, and being able to experience new and exciting foods together.
3. Here at Pasta Fits, we’re all about how pasta fits into a healthy lifestyle and busy schedule. What are some of your go-to meals when you want to get dinner on the table quickly?
In our home we absolutely love pasta and noodles dishes for a quick meal. Using seasonal vegetables can be a great way to change up that go-to pasta recipe. We love asparagus in the spring, tomatoes and basil in the summer, and butternut squash in the fall and winter. As a runner, pasta is a fantastic fueling meal. We also love the flexibility of pasta and rice dishes, and how you can create amazing meals with just a few ingredients.
4. We love your motto, “Eat Real. Eat Local. Eat Delicious.” Now that it’s summer and it’s the peak season for farmers markets, what vegetables are you looking forward to buying this season?
Summer time is absolutely my favorite time of the year. The farmer’s markets are just bursting with so many varieties of local vegetables to try. Some of my favorites are heirloom tomatoes, fresh peas, new potatoes, and zucchini. My current obsession is zucchini flowers. They’re delicious fried and served with marinara sauce, or tossed with pasta.
5. We love all of the pasta recipes you share on your blog! What are some of your favorite ingredients to pair with pasta?
There are so many delicious ingredients that can be paired with pasta for a next-level meal. I love ricotta, pesto, and chilli flakes on penne noodles. Cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil on spaghetti are classic, delicious, and perfect for summer eating. Lastly, an absolute favorites in our house are seared scallops in marinara sauce with angel hair pasta.
6. All of your photos are absolutely beautiful and we noticed that your photos of pasta are some of the most popular shared on Instagram! Can you share some beginner’s tips to food styling?
A few things to remember when styling your meals are:
7. Finally, can you share one of your mouth-watering pasta recipes with our readers?
One of our favorite weeknight meals is this Rigatoni with Ricotta and Kale Pesto. It’s delicious, uses fantastic summertime ingredients, and is on the table in minutes.
Dennis Prescott is a musician turned food writer and a proud Atlantic Canadian. He is a regular contributor to Food and Wine Magazine’s FWx, a food blogger, food photographer, and a recipe developer working with brands such as Vita Coco and Frigidaire. “Eat local, eat real, eat delicious.”