The Griswold Inn
American, B & B, Wine Bar
Lists & rankings
- This is the oldest continuously-run tavern in the US. Founded in the late 1700s, it has been under the stewardship of only 6 families & during Prohibition local yachtsmen came for the entertainment.
- Go for sea chanties on monday nights!
- Essex CT's coolest historic inn, restaurant, tap room and wine bar.
- Congratulations, you've found one of Esquire's Best Bars in America. Order the clam chowder and get a pint of the Ten Penny Ale.
- They brew their own beer! Try "The Gris: Revolutionary Ale."
- First visit, trying white bean soup & chicken salad wrap half sandwich. Parking in rear.
- Two words: Sunday brunch
- The tap room is awesome! Hot buttered rum on a cold night!
- The oldest bar in Connecticut. Est. 1776.
- WASPs gone wild!
- Horrible staff and poor service. Food orders were messed up, over cooked, and not good in general. (This was in the Tap Room).
- Essex, Deep River, and ChesterNot Your Usual 'Tourist' Haunts: First, a warning: if you visit these towns, in the lower Connecticut River Valley, you might not want to leave.
- I don't know what Michael S. is talking about. I always eat in the tap room when I go and have never had a problem with service.
- Great traditional bar. This place is very cozy!
- The food is pretty good and the atmosphere is really fun.
- The Sunday Hunt brunch is worth thebtrip
- Romantic tables and fantastic New England classics!
- A delightful place to spend the night! Very clean and historic. Central to everything, friendly staff, great dinner, nice continental breakfast, and speedy check/in and check/out.
- So cozy! Has been around forever and has a warm, welcoming charm to it.
- The food was fantastic and we enjoyed the live music, Eric Ducoff's band was brilliant. We especially love the special guest Catlin Hettel singing some Janis Joplin.