Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge Loop
Wildlife Loop Access Road
Chincoteague Island, VA 23336
- Bring bug spray!! Mosquitos are TERRIBLE!!!
- Bug spray (and a lot of it) is a must. The Mosquitos are aggressive!
- Explored the loop by foot, bicycle & automobile several times and still see things that amaze me. Last year my wife & I saw 5 ponies asleep on the paved part of the loop towards the end. A must-see.
- Chincoteague is famous for its wild ponies, but herons, egrets, and other wildlife here are equally stunning. Bring your camera and sense of wonder.
- Wild ponies , the wildlife loop (3-sunset only) , super beach (get to the far side of the beach from there wildlife loop (less crowded) , prepare to crab! Plenty of spots
- An absolutely beautiful drive to the beach! Keep an eye out for the wild ponies!
- The facility closes at 4pm which seems a little early.
- Beautiful loop to drive (in the evenings), bike, or hike. The wildlife and nature of the land is awesome to see at different times of the day. Look out for ponies!
- Bike it or walk it at least once, especially as close to the sunrise as you can. Breathtaking.
- Great short bike ride with kids, just remember to bring plenty of big spray!
- Make sure you bring your camera and your bug spray.
- Beautiful wear long pants if you plan on being on the beach the wind was horrible but beautiful all the same!
- Take the oyster shell trail into the woods for nice Marsh views and fiddler crabs.
- Brand new asphalt and lots of shade. Great trail for a summer bike ride!