Children Pop Open Piñata With Pills Inside, Boy Hospitalized

Children Pop Open Piñata With Pills Inside, Boy Hospitalized

DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A 5-year-old boy was hospitalized this weekend after accidentally ingesting pain pills he mistook for candy.

“There was the one little box of candy that I saw fall and he went and grabbed it,” said the boy’s mother, Brisa Ochoa. “It was very colorful. I would have never thought that it had anything else in it besides candy.”

It happened at a friend’s birthday party Saturday night after the children broke open a piñata filled with leftover Halloween candy. A sealed box of Trolli Sour Brite Eggs fell onto the floor.

Ochoa’s son Damien opened the box and ended up swallowing a Hydrocodone pill that was inside it. “It tasted yucky so I went to the doctor,” said the little boy, whose sister also almost ate some pills.

“I was like oh my gosh this is a pill,” said Ochoa. “Everyone went into a instant panic like ‘oh my gosh check your candy!'”

Denton police said the candy box had 35 Hydrocodone pills inside.

Ochoa said she is just grateful her son only swallowed one pill. “I was scared,” said Ochoa. “It was such as shock to me its so easy for someone to put that kind of stuff in it and reseal it and make it look like it was never opened.”

Denton Police are looking into the incident and said the homeowner who had the birthday party wasn’t involved.

Investigators said they’re trying to pinpoint which neighborhood home the pills originally came from.

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Latest News:

Top Trending: