During my first few years of cooking as an adult, I loved the freedom of messing up my very own kitchen. Recipes were chosen based on the appeal of the photo with no consideration given to time and effort involved.
It usually took me more time than the recipe predicted but that was likely my own fault. I lacked experience in the most basic techniques and if there was even one person talking my ear off in the kitchen, I worked slower and with less focus.
Over the years I’ve made a lot of mistakes but also done quite a few things right and made some pretty delicious dishes, some completely by accident.
Now I have more experience in the kitchen but less patience. Sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I still have a craving for homemade rolls or a curiosity to try decorating the occasional cake with marshmallow fondant, but for the most part I do want something efficient.
Easy. Simple steps that I can follow and sit to enjoy the goodies I made. Especially on football Sundays. Game day grub is the best!
For a while, work ended up taking over Sundays and I wasn’t able to sit and watch my favorite team play. Given the choice I would have loved to sit next to my daughter and watched her yell at the TV during the games, but I gotta pay the bills, ya know?
Fingers crossed, I’m able to adjust my schedule to take Sundays off for the most part. Any work I do can be done from the couch, next to my daughter, and we can have a do-nothing-day.
If I’m being honest, it’s more like a do-almost-nothing-day. Since that’s the best I can do for now, we enjoy the heck out of this new schedule.
If you are anything like me and favor efficient recipes, these crispy cheese twists are definitely for you. Heck, you don’t even need to make them for company if you don’t want to invite anyone over. Make a batch and enjoy them on your very own do-almost-nothing-day!
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, comes with two squares of puff pastry dough
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup butter, butter
- Thaw your puff pastry dough by leaving in the refrigerator the night before you make these.
- Prepare 2-3 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Lay out one square of puff pastry, unfolding it onto a clean and dry surface.
- Brush melted butter onto one side of the puff pastry dough.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded cheese on top of the butter and gently press the cheese down onto the dough.
- Cut into 8 strips using a pizza cutter.
- Twist until only the unbuttered side of the dough is visible and the cheese is (mostly) inside of the twists.
- Place each twist onto the parchment paper, leaving a little space in between each one.
- Repeat with the second square of puff pastry dough.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until completely chilled.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Brush remaining melted butter over the twists warming the butter again if necessary to make it brushable.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese over the twists.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meghan Markle Says Her Favorite Avocado Dip is in This Charity Cookbook
- Trader Joe’s Is Now Selling Candy Corn-Flavored Popcorn
- 50 States: 50 Spots: These Are the Top Natural Wonder in Your State
- America’s Best Old-School Candy Shops
- Shake Shack Is Selling Chicken Nuggets, and We Can’t Wait to Try Them