DALLAS (CBSFDW.COM) - When fans are cheering, and cash registers are ringing this time of the year, you know it’s Bowl season in North Texas.
Mary Jo Mack, an Illinois fan who traveled to Dallas for the game says, “It’s fun. I like the atmosphere.”
Another Illinois fan, Jennifer Karras says, “I was excited, we haven’t been to a bowl in a few years. Our son is on the team and so it’s exciting to be for him.”
Karras and her family arrived in Dallas December 23 and are staying through the weekend.
While their team lost, their stay in the city proves to be an economic touchdown for local restaurants and hotels.
Her husband Ted says, “It’s been a heck of a lot of fun except the outcome of the game today. But we really enjoyed the West End, all the nice eateries, and it’s been a great stay here, it’s been a really good time.”
They’re eating at RJ’s Mexican Cuisine in downtown Dallas’ West End.
On Thursday night, the restaurant hosted 200 parents whose sons play for Louisiana Tech.
Luis Macias, a server, says the tips were great. “It was a Merry Christmas.”
Now, he and the others here are hoping to win-over another big group from either Baylor or Michigan State – the teams competing in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington New Years Day.
Macias says, “It would be great if we can get them to come here and do that.”
Both of those teams have now arrived in North Texas.
At Gators, also in the West End, they already started hanging the school banners for Baylor and Michigan State.
Bowl fever keeps building.
The College Football Championship Game will be played in Arlington January 12th.
Another victory for North Texas.
Paul Mack says, “The people in Dallas have been really nice, it’s a very friendly town.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Bowl Season Arrives In N. Texas To Delight Of Fans, Businesses
- Neighborhood Blogger Feared For His Life After Officer Run-In
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Jaguars Dancers Awarded $2.3 Million Settlement
- Lakers’ Bryant Out For 3rd Straight Game At Dallas
- Could Carry On Bags Be Banned On Airplanes?
- Shocking Public Suicide In West Dallas
- Ferguson Protesters Block Highway In Dallas
- Texas Family Killed En Route To Disney World
- Student Stunned By Denton ISD’s Twitter Reply
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- Why You Should Never Sleep in on the Weekends
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record