Second Showing is known for “middle to high-end” clothing, purses and shoes, and caters to women. It also has a “cash for gold” program, with incentives for referrals. It was opened by Wendy and Jimmy in the spring of 2009, and carries many designer brands, such as Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Kate Spade and Gucci. If you’re dropping off items for consignment, no appointment is necessary, but all items need to be in new or excellent condition and pressed/steamed on hangers (hangers will be returned to you). When items sell, you receive 40 percent of what the item sold for, and the store keeps the remaining 60 percent; if items are unsold, they can be returned to you or donated. Tax receipts are also available, if items are donated.
Second Time Around is located near downtown Plymouth in a white house with a pink door. This shop sells and consigns “gently worn” and sometimes brand new items such as clothing, shoes, purses and jewelry. The house has six rooms, including a clearance room. It is owned and operated by two sisters, Sondra Molnar and Ronda Miller, as well as Ronda’s husband, David, and opened in June of 2007. Second Time Around accepts consignments on Tuesdays through Saturdays during business hours, and clothing must already be on a hanger, as well as wrinkle- and odor-free. If you have shoes, purses and/or jewelry, you can put them in a bag or box. All clothing items must be current and in style, with the exception of vintage (1960s and prior) items, which are also accepted.
Smart Chicks Consignment is located on Grand River between Novi and Meadowbrook roads, near 12 Oaks Mall. The store’s prices are up to 70 percent off retail, and it carries petite to plus sizes (size 00 to size 24). Smart Chicks is also known for carrying designer handbags/accessories, with brands such as Coach, Dooney & Bourke and sometimes Louis Vuitton or Burberry, with authenticity being guaranteed. The store also has accessories (necklaces, earrings, watches, bracelets and more) and home decor/furnishings in small sizes. Customers will also receive credit for purchases, and you can earn up to an extra $20 in savings. Smart Chicks will pay you cash on the spot for your consignment items and no appointment is necessary; however, please only bring 30 items maximum per visit.
Related: Best Vintage Stores in Detroit
Closet NV has a five-star average rating on Yelp, and there’s a reason for that: it’s one of the best consignment stores in the area. It was also voted Best Consignment Store in 2011 by Hour Magazine. The store was opened by sisters-in-law Robin and Lisa in March of 2010, and is known for its designer items and “giving back to the community.” During its grand opening, a fundraiser for Michigan Citizens for Stem Cell Research and Cures was held, and since then, various other shopping fundraiser events have occurred at the store. Closet NV has also been highlighted in StyleLine Magazine, Photo Stream, Daily Dress and Metro You. No appointment is necessary to bring in items to consign, and all items should be clean and on hangers.
Bellocchio Upscale Retail is located on Woodward between 11 Mile and 696, and was founded in 2000 by Carol Downing and Carolyn Joseph, Hudson Department Store alumni. You will need an appointment for in-store consignment for Bellocchio, and consignors receive 45 percent back from their merchandise once it’s sold, with a consignment period of 90 days. After 90 days, you may pick up your unsold merchandise, or Bellocchio can it donate to charity (providing you a tax receipt form, as well). Bellocchio’s charity of choice is Dress for Success. You may also buy a Bellocchio rewards card for $2, and you’ll earn points every time you shop there (1 point for every dollar you spend) – after receiving 500 points, you may redeem them for $10 off a future purchase.