Historic Site, Island, National Park
Golden Gate National Recreation Area (San Francisco Bay)
San Francisco, CA 94123
- Robert Stroud, "The Birdman of Alcatraz" spent 17 years in cell #42. Segregated from the prisoners, he turned to birds for company. He was the inspiration for the 1962 movie starring Burt Lancaster.
- Now that you have seen what Alcatraz looks like from the inside, click the link to see what it looks like from 220 miles above Earth aboard the International Space Station using an 800mm camera lens.
- Fantastic view of the city from the island. Breath taking.
- Audio is great !!!
- A half-century ago, three men made history by escaping the island fortress. They bought time by creating fake heads to fool guards during the bed check. But did the men survive?
- In 1996's "The Rock" Sean Connery is shocked to hear they've turned Alcatraz into a tourist destination, then goes on to rescue it from a terrorist takeover with sidekick Nicolas Cage
- Check out D Block. Sit in a solitary confinement cell, and then shut your eyes.
- Frank Morris, Clarence Anglin, John Anglin. Escape from Alkatras in 1962. REWARD for capture in $1.000.000, offered in 1993 the Red & White Fleet company, still remains unclaimed.
- On the way to Alcatraz, take in the breathtaking panorama of the Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, and Angel Island; the Ellis Island of the West.
- get the audio tour
- Take the eerie nighttime excursion: a narrated circuit around the island and guided tours to the main prison building (not to mention a few special programs only offered after dark).
- Head out for the cruise and tour of Alcatraz...
- If you disobey the rules of society, they send you to prison; if you disobey the rules of the prison, they send you to Alcatraz.
- Traga seu passaporte, tem um carimbo de visita a Alcatraz no fim do passeio :-).
- Bring jacket, gets cold on the open water, even in summer.
- The audio tour of the cell house is excellent. Definitely take the time to listen.
- Buy tickets in advance! It sells out! Also go w/a group that wants to follow the tour & start audio @the same time!!!
- Audio tour is a must, and definitely go off season.
- Save yourself 20 mins and skip the ranger lecture when you get off the boat, you need all of the time you can get on the island!
- When a highly-decorated squad of marines held San Francisco for ransom in Michael Bay's most morally complex film, THE ROCK, they chose this "escape-proof" prison as their impenetrable fortress.