The other day I was sitting on my couch, scrolling through Instagram and feeling sorry for myself and my lack of beach vacations. It wasn’t a proud moment, but after a stressful summer all those beautiful islandy photos were just getting to me.
So I did the only thing I could do. No, not book a one-way ticket to Bermuda. I made donuts.
After all, baked donuts are easy, can be made with what I already have in the kitchen, and don’t require a trip to the airport. Plus, with these toasted coconut donuts I can enjoy a taste of the tropics without worrying about my “bikini body.” Win-win-win.
I had first thought to make these fully loaded tropical-style donuts, but simplicity beat the other options. I didn’t even realize that toasted coconut was an extremely popular flavor from that big donut chain — it just sounded like a good topping to me!
I’ve used toasted coconut on baked donuts before, when I made these baked Samoa donuts that are totally like the yummy cookie. Toasting the coconut is an absolute must, but you can cheat like I did and buy pre-toasted coconut flakes, then just blitz them in the food processor to make small bits. Chopping the coconut makes it stick better to the donut glaze, and it ensures every bite has enough coconut flavor.
To add more coconuttiness, I used coconut oil in the batter. You can also swap in coconut milk for the milk in the glaze, like the glaze in my piña colada scones. The glaze is mainly for getting the coconut pieces to stick, so don’t worry too much about getting a perfect, thick glaze. I think the coconut makes these donuts sweet enough, but feel free to make a thicker glaze if you like by adding more powdered sugar.
These are best served immediately after the glaze has set, but they keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Take a bite, close your eyes, and imagine a warm breeze!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a donut baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in milk, egg, and coconut oil until blended.
- Divide batter among donut pan wells. Bake for 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
- Let cool in pan 1 minute, then remove from pan to a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, pour coconut flakes into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons milk until a glaze forms.
- Dip donuts into the glaze, then into the coconut. Let set before serving.