Spicy roasted nuts build in heat after you’ve had a few, and they sure are a savory delight! You can serve them as a snack, an appetizer or make them for a hostess gift the next time you go to a friend’s house for dinner.
It’s a simple recipe to make, easy to change and add your own favorite spices. A sweet version with cinnamon and warm spices would make an excellent alternative, still using the egg whites to coat the nuts!
My family used to be big on tradition, particularly traditional Christmas gifts. Two things we got my dad each and every year was soap on a rope (do they even make that anymore?) and his favorite jar of nuts. His favorites weren’t spicy, just salted. He loved them.
Years later, my parents started to put out nuts for snacking before dinner when we would all get together. Sometimes there would be nuts with different flavors, not just the salted variety.
This recipe is actually inspired by a good friend who made a sweet and salty mixed nut recipe every year for the holiday season. I don’t have the exact recipe but I remembered egg whites were used to coat the nuts and make the seasonings stick, so when I started making this recipe, this is how we liked it.
You can have a few nuts and they don’t seem that spicy, but the heat builds and begins to warm up. You’ll notice it. :)
For a smaller batch, simply cut the recipe in half. The six-cup version is perfect for snacking and packing some for our guests to take home. Do you prefer sweet, salty or spicy mixed nuts? I’d like to hear about your favorites!
- 6 cups mixed nuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Whisk egg whites and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add nuts.
- Sprinkle seasonings on top of the nuts and fold until evenly coated.
- Bake on parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Burger King Has Chicken Tenders for the First Time Ever
- What PDA Is OK Today — and What Isn’t
- What Every Woman Over 50 Should Know About Her Health
- The 25 Most Popular Halloween Candies in America
- 260-Layer Cake Breaks Guinness World Record