Sing Cheong Yuan Bakery
1027 Maunakea St
Honolulu, HI 96817
- This is the hole-in-the-wall place EVERYONE goes to...get there before lunch when someone inevitably drains the place of every pork hash in sight!
- Get your delicious Chinese baked goods here. :-) ricknakama.com
- Try the egg tart. You won't regret it.
- Great selection of baked goods. Not sure what everything was, but it was all delicious.
- One of the few places that still sell taro cake. Mmm...
- I love the sesame ball. Always hot and fresh.
- I've found that the chopped ingredients that is the filling for the Half Moon (Gok Jai) varies from week to week. Sometimes it has Cilantro (Chinese Parsley) and sometimes not. Basically same filling.
- SCY introduced a Mochi Rice wrap, of sorts in July 2014. Not bad, could use more flavor. It's basically Mochi Rice in a Won Ton Pi wrap. Flavored with dried shrimp and some diced veggies.
- SCY recently changed the filling in their Gok Jai (Half Moon). It is quite ono now. The Rice Skin is also thinner. Winnahz!
- Wow, all these years I thought they just sold moon cakes and candied fruit! Ma tai soo (like a delicate empanada) and mochi rice siu mai were ono!
- Pork hash, man. Pork hash.
- One of the few places that has Puffed Rice Cakes around Chinese New Year.
- The Baked Char Siu Bau is left out in the display case so it may NOT BE as hot and fresh as Royal Kitchen. Also have Half Moon & Pork Hash + dried fruits (year round). It's a Chinese Bakery also.
- Lots of peanut candy and other nut candies sold here. Those who are allergic should stay across the street. I'm talking about Adrian Tomine of Optic Nerve allergic level threat.
- If you need rice cakes to reenact that line "Brother, he stole my rice caaaaakes!" scene in Kung Fu movies, you can get them here.
- The Peanut Candy and the Macadamia Nut Candy are the bestest! There are chewy and not like a brittle. They also have a "Banana" and "Sugar" Mochi.
- Try the Candied fruits - ready for the year of the dragon