At the intersection of three incredibly busy roads — Crawford Avenue, Gross Point Road, and Central Street — in suburban Evanston, just 12 miles north of downtown, sits Little Island, what has to be one of the city’s most inconvenient hot dog stands. This is the kind of place that if you know and love it, you have your parking planned out as you approach, and if you don’t, and you’re noticing it for the first time, you’re probably going to have to loop around it to figure out your parking situation. It’s a tight space with blue walls, a few red booths, and most likely, a game on. There are more sandwiches than you’ll know what to do with — chicken, fish, and Italian — and one of the odder ordering situations you’ll have experienced (you look over a counter and down into the kitchen), but Little Island started as a hot dog stand at the suggestion of Whitey Siegel to his daughter Joanne and son-in-law Jerry Pincus, and the hot dog is still a good reason to navigate the island. Roughly cut onions, a healthy amount of both relish and mustard, and a respectfully heavy dash of celery salt make this a worthwhile stop. — Arthur Bovino, Chicago's 29 Best Hot Dogs, 7/22/2013
The Little Island
2600 Crawford Ave
Evanston, IL 60201
Lists & rankings
- Best cheese fries of all time, not to be missed. Order with a hotdog w/everything and you're all set.
- Best cheese fries anywhere.
- It's more fun if you call it hot dog island. Also cry "land ho! "As you approach.
- The food is delicious and everything is great my favorite is the chocolate milkshake
- Super Secret Menu Item: Cheddarburger with Bacon. Da best evar!!
- Its off menu, but you can get a 1 pound burger, order a double with the 1/2 patties