This is not your traditional lasagna. I guess because out of the three thousand available cheeses, ricotta and cottage cheese would be at the bottom of my list of favorites. I also have never been a fan of using hamburger in my lasagna. This one is made with all sausage. To be exact fresh Italian ground sausage. So if you are like me and prefer a little less cottage cheese in your lasagna than Italian Sausage Four Cheese Lasagna is your go to recipe.
I mean honestly this lasagna is a cheese lovers dream. It is packed full of Mozzarella, Parmesan, Provel and Edam cheese. Now in the recipe I will list some substitutions just in case these cheeses are not available to you. I don’t want you freaking out and throwing the baby out with the bath water.
This scrumptious beauty can be prepared ahead of time, covered and stored in the refrigerator. Pull out and place in oven one and one half hours prior to chow time! Now if cheese and sausage are not your thing than you should probably pass on this one.
However if you are like me and you dream in cheese than this is your lasagna. Hope you love it as much as we do!!
Sausage Four Cheese Lasagna
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 3 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- 1 cup Edam shredded (can sub mild cheddar or gruyere)
- 1 1/2 cup Provel shredded (can sub provolone)
- Cook lasagna noodles according to box instructions. Drain well.
- In large skillet brown sausage. Drain excess grease and add oregano, basil and garlic. Simmer over low heat for five minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Lay 3 noodles across the bottom. Layer with Mozzarella. Lay 3 noodles across the mozzarella, Layer with all of the sausage. Spoon 2 cups marinara over the sausage. Lay noodles across the sausage/marinara. Top with Parmesan and 3/4 cup sauce. Lay 3 noodles across the Parmesan. Top with Edam cheese. Lay 3 noodles across the Edam cheese. Top with remaining sauce and Provel.
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes0.1http://www.smalltownwoman.com/italian-sausage-four-cheese-lasagna/wk_bootstrap();
More delicious pasta recipes!!
Cheesy Stove Top Spaghetti