Nothing is more filling or comforting than a heaping bowl of soup. Especially if it is a heaping bowl of chicken soup. Or in this case, gluten free chicken soup with dumplings, a.k.a. gluten free chicken and dumplings.
Whatever you call it, your toes will be warm and your soul filled with every bite.
Since I got my Instant Pot for Mother’s Day this year, I have been looking for excuses to use it. One of the first things I made was gluten free pulled pork with green chile slaw. I made pulled pork braised in a gluten free beer in LESS THAN AN HOUR! This is a game changer for me.
So often I “forget” to get the slow cooker started until it is too late in the day and I don’t have time. My Instant Pot quickly (or maybe instantly, if that isn’t too “punny”) became my go-to for cooking dinner. One of my favorite things that an Instant Pot can do is sauté.
I know, I know, I have plenty of skillets and a stove top. But an Instant Pot makes it super easy to sear meat or sauté veggies BEFORE pressure or slow cooking IN THE SAME PAN.
When using my slow cooker, I always hated pulling out a skillet to sear meat before cooking it, so I would usually skip it. Now, I love building layers of flavor before I set and forget my dinner. Sautéing onions, celery, and carrots to make a homemade chicken stock (in less than an hour) is so easy now, and doesn’t make any extra dishes!
I love that my Instant Pot helped me make this from scratch gluten free chicken and dumplings recipe in less than an hour and a half. I will admit that I used the quick release. If you let the pressure come down naturally it will take a little longer.
The dumplings are really easy to make too. I just whisked the ingredients together and used my cookie scoop to drop them onto the top of the chicken soup. The dumplings were soft and fluffy, and my favorite part of my bowl.
I waited to stir the peas and carrots in until after the dumplings were cooked because I didn’t want them to lose all of their color. I just made sure they were thoroughly thawed by heating them slightly in my microwave. You can add them before the dumplings if you prefer, they just won’t be bright green and orange.
The flavors in this chicken and dumplings are simple, but a steaming bowl will warm your heart and soul.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 2 pounds chicken, breasts, thighs, bone-in or out, your choice
- 2 large potatoes, diced, approx 3 cups
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups high quality gluten free flour, like gf jules
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum, omit if your gluten free flour already has xanthan gum in it
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk, you can use dairy or dairy-free milk
- Set your Instant Pot to “sauté” and sauté the onion, celery, and carrot in the oil until softened.
- Add the chicken, then add water until you reach the 6 cup line.
- Seal and cook on “Poultry” for 35 minutes.
- Once it finishes, let the pressure come down and then open your Instant Pot.
- Remove the chicken and discard any bones. Shred the chicken and put it back in the broth.
- Stir in the diced potatoes and turn your Instant Pot to slow cook while you prepare the dumplings.
- For the dumplings, whisk together the flour xanthan gum (if your flour doesn’t already have it), baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk.
- Add it to the flour mixture and mix until you have a soft, smooth, but still sticky dough.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of the dumpling mixture onto the chicken soup (I used my 1 1/2 tablespoon cookie scoop.) DON’T STIR! Let the dumplings sit on the top and don’t stir them in.
- Seal you Instant Pot again and set it to pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- Let the pressure come down, and then open your Instant pot and stir in the thawed peas and carrots.