50 W Washington St (btwn Clark St & Dearborn St)
Chicago, IL 60602
- The Chicago Picasso was the first monumental modern sculpture to be placed in the Loop.
- For the love of god, please don't feed or chase the pigeons.
- We hope that Superman doesn't run into Lex Luthor at Daley Plaza, in the shadow of Picasso's untitled sculpture.
- Sculptor Pablo Picasso never named his sculpture nor did he ever explain what it represents.
- Nice for a stroll to think about the perils of Jake Blues.
- Made entirely of Cor-Ten steel (which gives the sculpture and the Daley Center their unique rust color), Picasso's sculpture weighs a whopping 160 tons. Thats 320,000 pounds!
- In "The Blues Brothers", Jake & Elwood Blues (John Belushi & Dan Ackroyd) crash their Bluesmobile through the plate glass windows of the Richard J. Daley Center.
- Although Picasso designed the sculpture in his home country, the Chicago Picasso was fabricated not too far from Chicago at the U.S. Steel Company in Gary, Indiana.
- Go to Christkindlmarket and get the Lentil soup you will not be sorry! It is ridiculously good! :)
- In "The Lake House" (2006), A climatic scene between Kate (Sandra Bullock) and Alex (Keanu Reeves) was shot in Daley Plaza, under Picasso's untitled sculpture.
- Actors John Belushi & Dan Ackroyd offered to donate $50,000 to charity in exchange for getting permission from then Mayor Jane Byrne, to crash their Bluesmobile through the Daley Center's lobby.
- As Jake Blues famously says of Daley Plaza, "That's where they got that Picasso." Picasso's untitled sculpture was given, by the artist, as a gift to the people of Chicago in 1966.
- What a view
- Farmer's market, Chicagoween, Christkindlmarket... there are often free, fun activities in the plaza!
- Daley Plaza does its yearly transformation into holiday central, with staples like mask decorating, a costume contest and a farmers market.
- Stop having protests at Daley Plaza for the sake of protesting...
- Lots and lots of history happened in this Plaza.
- If you dont get here early, expect long lines & employee attitudes!
- I think the Picasso sculpture looks like a baboon, but maybe it is supposed to be his Afghan hound.
- Grab a sandwich at Hannah's Bretzel and walk down here to enjoy the people watching when the weather's good. (via Scoville)