One of my favourite lunch (and also dinner) dishes is Asian chicken salad! It’s so delicious, healthy, and easy to make. The salad itself tastes great, but what makes it even better is sesame dressing and crispy noodle bits.
I like to make it simple and fuss-free to make by cooking the chicken in a slow cooker overnight so that it’s ready when I wake up in the morning. I just pop the chicken into some water in the slow cooker and leave it cook on the automatic setting. It’s easy to make this way because then you don’t actually have to cook and keep an eye on the chicken.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, then you can cook the chicken by boiling it or grilling it. I think boiling would be best because grilling could alter the flavour of the chicken, which may change the taste of the salad.
Also, I’ve never tried grilled chicken with this sesame dressing, but I’m sure it will taste delicious. You can also make the dressing and cut the vegetables the night before and keep in a container in the fridge so that in the morning all you have to do is put everything into a container so it’s ready to take to work or school!
You could put everything together the night before, but if you do this, the dressing and salad can make the noodles go soggy, and then it’s not as delicious. I usually put the salad and chicken together in one container, the sauce in another, and the noodles in another and then mix it all together just before I’m about to eat it.
The dressing itself is also super easy to make and it is so delicious! I love the nutty, roasted flavour of the sesame dressing; it goes perfectly with the chicken salad. This chicken salad is a perfect dish to make in bulk and the salad and dressing can both last in the fridge for up to a week! Enjoy!
For the Japanese Sesame Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon japanese mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy milk, or milk
- 1/2 tablespoon mirin
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For the Asian Chicken Salad:
- 2 cups shredded bokchoy
- 2 cups shredded sliced cucumber
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded radish
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons dried asian noodles, to garnish
- diced green onion, to garnish
To Make the Dressing:
- Add all the ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Whisk them well to completely combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Make the Salad:
- Shred all the vegetables as listed and toss them together in a large bowl.
- Top with shredded chicken.
- Drizzle Japanese sesame dressing over the salad.
- Garnish with dry Asian noodles and green shallots.
- Serve immediately.
Japanese Sesame Dressing from Chopstick Chronicles.