There are many things that signify the arrival of fall: chilly nights, football, Pumpkin Oreo Dessert, and this apple dessert pizza. Whenever mom made it, I knew fall had officially arrived. Now I live in a climate where we don’t get a traditional autumn, but with this bread I can imagine the leaves are turning brilliant shades of ocher.
Mom called this dessert Apple Delight, but it’s a lot like a dessert pizza. But not your average apple dessert pizza! Yes it has apples and is drizzled with caramel, but the cream cheese “sauce” is more tangy than sweet, which gives it great balance.
The most distinguishing characteristic, however, is the biscuit crust. Cookie crusts are too sweet in my book. Plus, you can’t pull them apart like this dessert! With this version, everyone can grab a piece and enjoy the fun.
I love it fresh from the oven when it’s still warm and slightly gooey with the caramel dripping over the crunchy nuts. I also love it chilled the next morning for breakfast (if I’m not eating Apple Scones). It makes a terrific snack bread for any time of the day. The recipe also doubles easily, which I highly recommend if serving to guests!
This dessert is so quick and easy to throw together. It’s flexible because you can use whatever type of apples and nuts you have on hand. Granny Smith apples are my favorite, but I usually go for whichever variety is currently being harvested locally.
Apples pair so well with nuts! Peanuts, walnuts and pecans are classic choices, but I love the crunch of almond best, so that’s what I chose. They can even be made nut-free for those with allergies.
Just open a can of biscuits and place them in a single layer, touching on the sides. Flatten into a thin layer with your fingers and bake. Then top with cream cheese, diced apples and nuts. Top it all off with a drizzle of caramel and enjoy!
- 1 can buttermilk biscuits, 10 pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, or 2 small apples, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts, any variety
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce
- Arrange the biscuits on a cookie sheet in a single layer with their sides touching. With your hands or a rolling pin, flatten them to a 1/2-inch thickness. Bake according to package instructions. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes before adding toppings.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until well combined. Spread over the biscuit crust. Top with apples and nuts and drizzle with caramel. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Meghan Markle Says Her Favorite Avocado Dip is in This Charity Cookbook
- Trader Joe’s Is Now Selling Candy Corn-Flavored Popcorn
- 50 States: 50 Spots: These Are the Top Natural Wonder in Your State
- America’s Best Old-School Candy Shops
- Shake Shack Is Selling Chicken Nuggets, and We Can’t Wait to Try Them