I started making themed moonshines (I use an everclear or vodka base, as distilling your own liquor at home is illegal in the U.S.) a while ago as a fun gift for friends- and have come up with some amazing flavors. There is a basic apple pie moonshine, a cherry pie moonshine, a rhubarb version, and a delicious cranberry moonshine.
They are bright and colorful, and people love receiving them as gifts- especially when served in cute little mason jars.
I’ve been wanting to make a moonshine with a little bit of a different flavor for a while now, and I thought Christmas was as good as an excuse as any to try out a chocolatey, coffee filled moonshine that would be perfect to mix with espresso drinks, in martinis, or even tossed into a very adult cup of cocoa!
This recipe for moonshine is one of my easiest yet - since it doesn’t require any heating. All you have to do is pour the ingredients into the jars you’ll give them in and add some coffee beans to let the flavors infuse and you’re all set to go!
It’s perfect for last minute holiday gifts for friends, and you can even print out this mocha recipe for them as a delicious way to use the moonshine.
For the mocha, I’ve outlined a very basic recipe- but it is completely customizable, and a lot of fun to come up with new variations!
You can use your normal coffee, or brew a few ounces of espresso - whatever you have on hand, and whatever flavor you prefer. I sometimes swap the vanilla extract for almond syrup, or peppermint, or even hazelnut. You can add a dash of cinnamon or chai spice, chocolate chips, caramel sauce - anything you have on hand to dress up your drink.
This is a perfect cocktail for a holiday brunch party - you can let guests customize their own mochas with a variety of syrups and flavors, and then send them home with a small jar of chocolate coffee moonshine as a party favor!
- 2 ounces chocolate coffee moonshine
- 4 ounces strong brewed coffee, or 2 ounces espresso plus 2 ounces hot water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces milk, hot
- whipped cream, as garnish
- chocolate syrup, to garnish
- In a mug, add hot coffee or espresso + water, vanilla, and chocolate coffee moonshine, and mix.
- Microwave milk and froth using a milk frother until milk had quadrupled in size.
- Top coffee with milk and foam.
- Top with whipped cream, and drizzle a little chocolate syrup over the top if desired.
- Enjoy immediately.
Ball Canning Jars
Ball Mason Jars