Flatbreads never get old for me. The crispy, crunchy bread is a vehicle for basically any flavor combination you can think of. From savory to sweet, spicy to fruity, you can pack a ton of variety on top of these thin crusts!
I used to live off of flatbreads in college. Once I moved into a house with an actual kitchen, I would make flatbreads and quesadillas on alternating nights (I would work in a baguette for dinner here and there too, but that’s besides the point).
Before I really got obsessed with cooking, I would take pleasure in the simplest of new combinations on top of flatbreads. I would add a caprese salad on top, grilled chicken with beans and avocado, and anything else that my little broke college heart would come up with.
I ran out of some ideas there for a minute, but now I am back with them and I am heading one direction – southwest. With seafood.
Shrimp is like the chicken of the sea to me (and no, not like the Jessica Simpson “is this fish or chicken?” debate). I mean that in the sense that it holds flavors so well.
Any flavor combination can be added to shrimp and after soaking it for a mere 15 minutes in a marinade, the shrimp comes to life!
The slightly sweet, tart, and spicy marinade gets soaked into the shrimp so when it’s paired with all the veggies on this flatbread, the flavors really pop. Then once you reduce the marinade and drizzle it on top, it’s gangbusters.
All the colors, textures and flavors piled high on this crispy bread make it a great appetizer for sharing (or even a healthy lunch for those of you not inclined to share… I know you’re out there… just like me ;) ).
- 12 Shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Red Onion, diced, plus 1 tablespoon minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Honey
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Corn
- 1/2 Jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup Black Beans
- Fresh Tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 Avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Cooked Crispy Flatbread
- Chopped Cilantro
- In a small bowl, marinade shrimp with lime juice, cajun seasoning, paprika, minced red onion, chopped cilantro, honey and garlic. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Remove shrimp from marinade and add to pan along with corn and black beans.
- Sauté until shrimp just turns pink and opaque. Remove from heat, add to a small bowl and stir in jalapeño.
- Pour marinade into the skillet and cook until reduced and thickened over medium-high heat, approximately 2 minutes.
- Top flatbread with the shrimp, corn and black bean mixture.
- Add chopped tomato, red onion, and avocado.
- Drizzle with the thickened marinade and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately.