Salem Witch Trials Memorial
Historic Site, Park
Liberty St. (btw Charter St. & Derby St.)
Salem, MA 01970
- 20 granite Memorial Benches cantilevered from a low stone wall surrounding an area adjoining the Old Burying Point. Benches are inscribed w/ names of the accused & means, date of execution.
- This is a free memorial outside the old burying point cemetery. None of the victims of the witchcraft hysteria are buried here but its a memorial to their memory.
- Be sure to find Giles Corey and read the way he was executed. He's the only one that was not "hanged."
- Beautifully designed. Head next door to the graveyard and find the 17th century stones.
- My ancestor is Susannah Martin. There are 19 bench stones memorializing those that were hanged, including her. Wish I would have thought to bring flowers or something to leave like others did.
- Was I the only one surprised while reading "crushed to death"? o_o
- So cool!! Loved it!!
- Quiet peaceful respectfully designed memorial
- Very intriguing history, and a great place to visit for any history buff.
- Really, really nondescript. Without the sign you might walk right past.
- Pretty impactful history lesson.
- Come and see for yourself. A peaceful place to reflect.
- pretty moving to see the area right next to the cemetery, but with no headstones like the rest
- A little disappointing. But the little vignettes were kinda cool.
- So sad to see this memorial...but glad it exists.
- Cool architecture.
- Very neat little memorial. Not much to it, but covered in snow, it's quite beautiful. Right next to the Burying Point & free. Worth a stop if you're in the area!
- Read the inscriptions on the stone seats. Name, date, and method of killing.