The Anchor & Hope
36 The Cut (Waterloo)
London, Greater London SE1 8LP
+44 20 7928 9898
- Listen. This is important. Get here at 5.12pm. Go straight to the toilet and wait. At 5.15 precisely, walk at a normal pace back to the bar. When you reach the curtain look left. Give them your name.
- Nice wine - bad service.
- If there's pie on the menu, order it. The best old fashioned English comfort food for 100 miles.
- Don't get stuck behind the bloke with the beard at the bar
- The rib of beef is incredible; get here early though as otherwise they will run out
- Lamb shoulder is stunning!
- Sunday sharing
- Tried slow-cooked shoulder of lamb, it was fantastic!
- Gastropub Anchor & Hope serves an awesome pie. A Piehunter favourite is the steak pie for two - a thick pastry top hides a huge portion of brilliant beef and tasty gravy.
- We waited over an hour for our table - the Scottish waiter charmed my mate so we didn't mind. We had hare, delish but the chocolate pud was bitter - they kindly gave us another pud - lovely service
- Good food but poular with boozed up suits on a friday
- Razor clams were great and the beer salad!
- Best gastropub in London bar none
- Small plates. Moderately expensive. Outdoor seating.
- Really decent wine list, delicious British and European food. Busy but worth it.
- Surprisingly good food and nice staff. Rabbit is the perfect dish for everyone who loves a brilliant, straightforward, honest meal.
- Try the cassoulet! Its just gorgeous, and the staff are also very friendly and helpful. Loved our visit and hope we have a chance to go again.
- Great food, cozy and friendly staff. Loved it!
- One of the best proper no-nonsense gastropubs of South London. Can be crowded, but its worth the wait for a table.