Portsmouth Square Park
Portsmouth Square Plaza
San Francisco, CA 94108
- Grab lunch to go and enjoy eating outside in the beautiful weather
- Get your food from R&G to go and eat it here while watching old lady tai chi
- There's a bridge in this plaza leading to the Chinese Cultural Center that offers excellent views of Chinatown, North Beach, and Downtown.
- Super convenient place if you're strolling around Chinatown. A lot of pigeons.
- Cramped in studio apartments shared sometimes by a whole family this park offers an open space to socialize, listen to Peking opera, play chess & card games and there's even monkey bars for the kids
- It's really awesome to look toward the now-covered waterline, and imagine the tiny hamlet that was once Yerba Buena. The historical significance of the spot is also really interesting!
- Wanna try gambling?
- watch out...sprinklers come on after 1am...
- SF Weeklys Best Of 2011 Winner Editorial Pick BEST HISTORIC PARKJean Jacques Vioget opted for the European model of a grid of streets & a central plaza overlooking the cove a block away...
- First public school in California was built here.
- Lots of history in this little park! There is an 1 1/2 hr free Chinatown walking tour that meets here on Fri., Sat., and Mon: http://www.sfcityguides.org/desc.html?tour=8
- The lower playground is newer with lots of sand and rocks for climbing.
- Nice spot for early morning stretch, tai chi or relax.
- Flooded with Chinese people playing chess. Go cheer on them, it's fun.
- Surprise the locals ;-) "Gong siu siu gwongdungwa..."
- Parking below Portsmouth too by the way.
- Check out Drag Me Along Walking your of Chinatown www.dragmealongtours.com
- Good place to eat dim sum in the sun.
- Want to sit outside for lunch? Don't sit here. Go towards the bridge connecting to the hotel. Much less crowded.
- Starting place for the SF City Guides: Chinatown Tour