Of course, holiday entertaining isn’t complete without a fun drink to share with friends and family. Holiday entertaining doesn’t have to be complicated. Sometimes it is as simple as having a few girlfriends over for drinks while you all work on wrapping presents. Or having a few easy appetizers and drinks while the kids play and watch a movie together.
If you’re looking for something a little different to serve at your next holiday gathering, you should give this green tea cocktail a try! It is really fun and tasty, plus super simple to make.
During our holiday gatherings with friends and neighbors there are usually plenty of children around. My kids love being included in having a fun drink to celebrate the holidays with – or really any occasion. They’re suckers for having a “special drink.”
This green tea cocktail is perfect for family gatherings that include children because it is easily adapted to be non-alcoholic by substituting the champagne with a bottle of sparkling apple or sparkling pear cider, making it a “mocktail”.
You can easily prepare two versions of this drink – one for adults and one for kids, just make sure to note which is which so there is no confusion. At our mixed group gatherings, our friends like to have 2 separate serving areas for kids and adults’ drinks. That way the kids know which drinks are safe for them and the adults don’t have to worry.
- 4 green tea bags
- 2 cups water, boiled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- thinly-sliced apples and pears
- ice cubes
- 1 bottle champagne
- mint leaves, for garnish
- Place the 4 tea bags in a heat-resistant glass container, such as a large glass measuring cup. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the tea bags. Allow the tea to steep for 3-4 minutes. Remove the tea bags and discard. Stir in the pomegranate juice. Chill the mixture until cold.
- Place 3 – 4 slices of fruit and 2 – 3 ice cubes in each glass. Divide the green tea between the glasses. Top each glass off with champagne and garnish with mint leaves. Serve.
- Tip: Tea can be brewed and chilled in advance.
- For a non-alcoholic version, substitute 1 – 750 ml bottle of sparkling apple of pear cider.