Do kids still watch Sesame Street? I am honestly not sure.
Lucy is currently obsessed with YouTube. While my generation was glued to the television early on Saturday mornings and every afternoon after school, kids nowadays just want their iPads.
I have to say, raising a child in the age of tablets is certainly handy. I don’t even have to turn off my Dr. Phil when I need her to sit still and leave me alone for a minute! But the downside is, Lucy actually yelled, “CLICK THE LINK TO SUBSCRIBE!!” to a random stranger the other day. It wasn’t one of my shining moments, that’s for darn sure.
Even though she rarely watches television (I have witnessed my child actually trying to “swipe” magazine pages), Lucy certainly knows all of the Sesame Street characters. Of course, Elmo and Cookie Monster reign supreme around here. Don’t they always?
Awhile back, I made a Cookie Monster cake that everyone loved SO much, I knew I had to make a brownie version!
My son won’t eat cake (I have done extensive research and can confirm that he was not switched at birth), but brownies are one of his favorite things on the planet. So I knew that Cookie Monster Brownies would make both of my kiddos thrilled.
This is an incredibly simple recipe – I went with boxed brownie mix and premade cookie dough to save steps. If you’d like to go the homemade route, feel free, they’d taste great!
But be prepared to spend a bit more time and energy on the end result. Sometimes, you just gotta take the easy way out. It’s not honorable, but it sure is relaxing.
Oreo cookies, fudgy brownies, chunks of chocolate chip cookie, and cookies and cream frosting are truly and impressive combination. And the end result is so cute! Enjoy!
For the Brownies:
- 16 oreos
- 1 box chewy fudge brownie mix, plus eggs, oil, and water needed to prepare
- 8 ounces refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough, roughly half of a regular sized tube
For the Frosting:
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 oreos, crushed very finely
- blue food coloring
For the Ganache:
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ahoy! mini chips ahoy! cookies, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 square pan with foil and spray thoroughly with cooking spray. Set aside.
To Prepare the Brownies:
- Line bottom of pan with Oreo cookies.
- In a large bowl, prepare brownie mix as specified on box (as for fudgy brownies), and pour brownie mix over the cookies. Spread evenly to edges.
- Break cookie dough into clumps and press into the brownie mix.
- Bake brownies for roughly 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with fudgy crumbs but no raw dough. Let brownies cool completely.
To Prepare the Frosting:
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter, cream, and vanilla on medium-low until smooth and well-combined. Slowly add powdered sugar.
- Once powdered sugar is barely mixed in, increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2 minutes. Fold in crushed Oreos. Add blue food coloring until you achieve your desired shade of blue.
- Frost cooled brownies.
To Prepare the Ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips and heavy cream, stopping to stir every 20 seconds until smooth.
- Stir in light corn syrup and let sit until thickened and cooled.
- Drizzle ganache over cooled brownies and press mini cookies into the top to garnish.