I have several old recipe cards in my recipe box. These recipe cards are handwritten, and one or maybe two are my grandmother’s recipes. She was such an impressive cook and baker!
When I struggle to make a five course meal on my own entirely from scratch, it helps to remind myself that she made all three meals for the family completely from scratch including dessert, every single day. No days off.
In my handwritten recipe card collection I have some main dish recipes and some dessert recipes but not a single appetizer. This is one worth adding to my collection.
Bacon wrapped smokies are a meaty appetizer recipe my family and I have enjoyed for years. The first time I remember nibbling on these was at a potluck. I think I was 12 or so. Not being very comfortable at grown-up potlucks, I lost myself in my own daydreams and the food.
At first, the savory beef smokies and bacon seemed odd with the sweet brown sugar, but after a couple of these, I grew to like them. Especially when I saw them at the boring grown-up potlucks with so many odd looking dishes. This became a familiar favorite, sort of a comfort food.
I remember seeing a version of these at a work potluck during my time as a corporate travel agent. One crock pot on the table contained little smokies warming in a thick, sweet sauce, but no bacon.
After a little rummaging around with the serving spoon, I realized the bacon hadn’t fallen off the smokies and it wasn’t hiding at the bottom of the pot. There was none! Those smokies were good thanks to the sweet barbecue sauce, but given a choice, I choose the bacon-wrapped smokies every time.
You can serve them at a cocktail party or a tailgate party and any other party in between. They really are quite versatile. You’ll definitely want to drizzle the brown sugar sauce that magically appears in the bottom of the baking dish while the bacon wrapped smokies bake. These will be a big hit at your next potluck!
- 2 packages little smokies, 12 ounces each
- 2 1/2 pounds bacon
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grab two baking dishes with sides at least 2-inches deep. I use a 9x13 inch and an 8x8 pan.
- Cut the bacon strips in half so they’re about 6 inches long or so.
- Wrap one half of a bacon strip around each little smokie, securing with a toothpick.
- Lay them in the baking dishes. It’s ok if they touch or are crammed in there nice and tight.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the bacon wrapped smokies.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Arrange on a serving tray and drizzle the brown sugar mixture (from the bottom of the baking dishes) on top of the bacon wrapped smokies.
Demarle Silpat Non-Stick Baking Mat
Le Creuset Jelly Roll Pan
360 Bakeware Jelly Roll Pan
Le Creuset Heritage 3 Quart Square Dish