Assateague Island Lighthouse
Boat Ramp Access Rd
Chincoteague Island, VA 23336
- wear lots of big spray. Mosquitos are terrible here!
- Check out the featured local Artist who often are in the brick oil house next to the lighthouse.
- Watching the ponies and just enjoying the beach waves
- Cool little gem on the road
- long walk up stairs but beautiful view and nice, informational guides
- Over the pines and wild ponies is the view of the bay and Atlantic. An easy walk. Not quite a hike. But a stunning vista.
- I came, I saw, I was eaten alive by the mosquitoes
- I was chased down the trail by giant mosquitos immune to spray! Lighthouse was pretty but not worth it unless you climb.
- Walking trails
- Aggressive mosquitos is an understatement.
- Breathtaking view. Easy climb, but narrow and was tough on my depth perception because of the cloudy day.
- In 2015, the Assateague Lighthouse will be open in July and August Friday-Tuesday, from 9 AM to 3 PM. The last climbers are permitted to head up at 2:30 PM. Admission is Free. Donations are accepted.
- Short loop trail (.33 miles) through the woods (if you want to get out of the sun!). Lighthouse wasn't open on our visit despite the hours saying it should be
- Mosquitos might be bad, but the view from the top of the lighthouse is well worth it. It's a good place to stop if you're walking or biking to the beach, too.
- Construction is over. $5 lets you climb to the top.
- Take your tour of the lighthouse early in the morning when it is cool. It get super hot in the afternoons. View from the top is pretty amazing, bring your camera. Big spray is a must!
- $8 to enter the Island. As of July 22nd, 2013 the Lighthouse is under construction and closed for at least another month. You can only view it for now but cannot enter. Would still check it out.
- Its $8 to get onto the island for the day. Its a short hike to the lighthouse which is under construction at least a month.
- About a 1/4 mile hike up a mosquito infested path ( bring lots of bug spray) its a pretty easy climb with a great view of assateague and Chincoteague!
- The lighthouse is actually located on Assateague Island, not Chincoteague Island. It is in the Chincoteague National Wildlife Reserve.