Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden
Cultural Center, Botanical Garden, Art Gallery
1000 Richmond Ter (Snug Harbor Rd)
Staten Island, NY 10301
- Did you know? The Sailor's Snug Harbor fence, completed in 1845, was designed by Frederick Diaper, who used the Cumberland Gates in Hyde Park, London, as his inspiration.
- The Sung Harbor iron fence runs 1/3 mile along Richmond Terrace and was built to prevent residents of Snug Harbor, originally a home for retired seamen, from taking unauthorized excursions.
- The majestic Greek Revival buildings adorning this campus were built between 1831 and 1880 as dormitories for retired sailors, who were housed here until 1976.
- In the deep south of Staten Island, this lush, more-than-300-acre green space is teeming with plant and animal life. Come and enjoy the narrow woodland trails, which can be hiked or biked.
- Founded as a haven for aged sailors in 1801, Snug Harbor evolved into a completely self-contained community over the next century, complete with its own hospital, farm and more. (From Aerial America)
- Did you know? This nature and cultural getaway was originally built as a home for retired sailors.
- Tour the botanical gardens and various museums. Get a hot dog and hamburger while you are here too. Just don't come when there is a wedding is going on in the grand hall, or neptune's catering...par
- Use "GuestWiFi" to connect to free public wi-fi near Neptune Fountain, Snug Harbor Dock and the North entrance of Randall's Garden, courtesy of Time Warner Cable.
- Built as a home for retired sailors, this 83-acre campus features historic buildings, botanical gardens, art galleries and much more. Home to the first classic Chinese Scholar's Garden in the U.S.
- There's lots to see here, but don't miss the Neptune Fountain, from 1893, and restored in 1995. Find out more about it: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcla/html/panyc/neptune.shtml
- Its great to ride the boat in the morning
- Our History Center and Archives are located in Building H! History Center is open Tues-Sat, 1-4pm and it's Free. Archives open by appt. (718.483.7122), We also have a Museum store!
- A hidden gem in SI. Must pay to visit the sculpture garden and its definitely worth it! Annual fence show is amazing!!
- Ghkdec tgeg
- O mundo oferece muitos maravilhosos lugares. No temos motivos para remoer dizendo que no temos onde ir!.
- First and only home for retired merchant seamen in U.S.
- Connie Gretz Secret Garden
- Pegar o ninbus S40 pra chegar l
- Staten Island's first QR Walking Tour brings you through the site. Check it out!!