I’m not gonna lie. I’m a gal who really enjoys a good cocktail. No, I’m not a lush by any means, but I appreciate a well-made cocktail and enjoy leisurely sipping on one while out to dinner or during a special occasion with family or friends.
If that cocktail is a spin off an old classic and is far from basic, even better. The holidays are a time of celebration and merriment. Festive times such as these are usually celebrated with good food, good friends and of course, good drink!
Margaritas are a fun summertime cocktail that makes even the simplest backyard barbecue feel instantly more festive but who says the margarita can’t bring a little warmth to these cooler months? When I’m entertaining, I love impressing my guests by spinning off a classic margarita with something a little more elegant like a floral Hibiscus Rose Margarita.
They’re always intrigued by the edible sweet candied hibiscus flower that floats in the bottom of this beautiful pink cocktail. Talk about a show stopper! It looks fancy but it’s oh so very easy to create without much fuss at all.
Another favorite cocktail of mine is an Old Fashioned. A sugar cube, whisky and bitters together with a twist of orange or lemon peel make a simple, classic cocktail that has stood the test of time. As much as I love the original, I absolutely adore this Maple Old Fashioned even better.
A touch of high-grade maple syrup replaces the sugar cube, bourbon and bitters mingle with more citrus notes thanks to a squeeze of orange juice. Surprisingly, this cocktail is not overly sweet. This Maple Old Fashioned recipe is a worthy spinoff of the classic that is sure to get everyone in a festive mood and ready to celebrate the holidays!
- 1 ounce pure maple syrup, preferably grade a dark amber
- 1 ounce orange juice
- 1/4 ounce lemon juice
- 8 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 orange slice, with peel on
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- ice cubes
- 4 ounces bourbon
- sparkling seltzer water, chilled
- In a cocktail shaker, add maple syrup, orange juice, lemon juice, bitters, orange slice and vanilla bean.
- Muddle orange slice and vanilla bean.
- Add bourbon and a handful of ice. Shake well.
- Fill an Old Fashion glass half with ice.
- Divide mixture in cocktail shaker evenly between two glasses then top with chilled seltzer.
- Garnish with an orange slice, if desired.
Stainless Steel Cocktail Shaker