Bored of the same ol’ chocolate chip cookie? Kick the flavor up a notch with malted milk powder. The subtle malted flavor in these cookies might just make them your new favorite!
My husband loves chocolate chip cookies. I think he actually gets a little annoyed when I make different types of cookies. Okay but here’s the problem with this scenario… I’m a food blogger. So here’s my solution: I keep a bag of frozen whole wheat chocolate chip cookie dough balls in the freezer so that he can pop a couple in the oven whenever he wants them. He can even make them in the toaster oven. Sometimes I sneak one and eat it raw. Don’t tell my mom.
So since the freezer is stocked for him (because I’m the best wife ever, naturally), I can experiment a little with new and fun flavor combinations. I love these lemon clementine crinkle cookies, but they’d be way too weird for my husband. This time I must not have had dough stocked in the freezer because I didn’t stray too far from his favorite. That’s my other trick, beyond the frozen dough. Try to change things up just a leeeeeeetle bit and hope that he won’t notice. It usually doesn’t work, but I give it my best shot nonetheless.
To try to pull a fast one on him this time, I went for a subtle malt flavor in these cookies. I adore drinking a chocolate malted milkshake so I wanted to bring that malted milk flavor into the classic chocolate chip cookies. I love the combination of the malt flavor with the chocolate. It’s a match made in cookie heaven.
It’s a match made in milkshake heaven too, but that’s a different conversation for a different day. Unless you can have both the cookie and the milkshake. Then do that. Definitely do that.
I love a flatter, chewy cookie but if you like a thicker cookie, you can increase the flour content slightly – try 1/2 cup more flour for a thicker cookie. If you’re looking to go a different route entirely, try these insanely easy Cool Whip cookies!
Grab a glass of milk and enjoy!
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 for adding before baking if desired
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add dry ingredients to butter/sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using your hands, roll dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment or Silpat baking mat and top with 3-4 extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cool on baking sheet for about 2 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Continue process until all dough is baked.
- Store in an airtight container.
Cuisinart Stand Mixer
KitchenAid Stand Mixer
Demarle Silpat Non-Stick Baking Mat
360 Bakeware Small Cookie Sheet