According to the Washington Post, the contaminated bottles of 7Up were purchased and consumed in Mexicali, Mexico. Mexicali is located just south of the California border, and is approximately 125 miles from San Diego. After drinking the contaminated soda, eight people were sickened badly enough they needed to be hospitalized. One of the victims died.
Authorities have taken 7Up off the shelves in the area, but it’s still unclear how the methamphetamine got into the soft drinks in the first place. The Baja California attorney general’s office says an investigation is underway.
The Dr Pepper Snapple Group, which distributes 7Up in the United States, says no U.S. 7Up products have been contaminated. The company also says it does not market, sell, or distribute 7Up in other parts of the world. That license is owned by PepsiCo.
People in Mexico are being advised to be extremely careful about checking to make sure the beverages they buy have not been tampered with. Making sure bottles have not been opened and seals are intact is an important food lesson to keep in mind.
Symptoms of consuming meth-contaminated food or drink include irritation of the mouth or throat, an abnormal taste, burning in the esophagus or abdomen, nausea and vomiting, quick or irregular heartbeat, and difficulty breathing. Symptoms can appear suddenly, and anybody who suspects they’ve consumed a contaminated beverage should seek medical attention immediately.