El Greatest Guacamole Recipe
flickr Lauren Topor
Nancy Zaslavsky serves this chunky guacamole recipe with one or two table salsas, so she tries to avoid putting the salsa ingredients in the guacamole so that the avocado taste is front and center. — Yasmin Fahr
- 3 ripe, soft (not mushy) Hass avocados
- 2 limes, preferably Mexican/key lime
- 1/2 Cup minced white onion
- 1/4 Cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 Teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1/4 Cup bright red pomegranate seeds, if available
Cut an avocado all around, vertically, through the skin and fruit to the pit. Pick up the half with the pit. With attitude, hit the pit with the knife’s blade until the blade sticks in the pit. Wiggle the blade and the pit will come free. Using a towel, remove and discard pit. Scoop out the avocado from both halves into a bowl. Continue with the others.
Squeeze the limes over the avocado. Stir in the onion, cilantro, and salt. Keep the guacamole lumpy — do not mash to a purée!
Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds for a stellar presentation. Serve immediately with table salsa.