You'll Never Guess What the Leading Brand of Coffee Is
Sorry, fourth-wave coffee lovers and Starbucks/Dunkin' Donuts addicts: your coffee choice isn't top dog. In fact, it's the brand at the supermarket that you usually skip over — Folgers — that's still the country's number-one choice for coffee.
New reports from Businessweek show that Folgers outsells any other brand at the grocery store (so no, it doesn't count your multiple midday coffee runs); its parent company, JM Smucker, increased its volume output by 4 percent just in the last quarter. Folgers has a hold of just more than15 percent of the market; the next leading brands are Maxwell House, Green Mountain, and Starbucks. (Dunkin' Donuts coffee is also sold by JM Smucker, and Dunkin' is growing, too. The same reports share that Dunkin's packaged coffee grew by 6 percent in the same period.)
In the last year, JM Smucker sold about $2.3 billion in coffee, up from $1.9 billion in 2011. Experts say it could be that Folgers has captured a growing market thanks to its marketing efforts, such as this jingle contest (featuring some very Mumford and Sons-looking musicians). So you know, hipsters aren't just drinking Blue Bottle these days.
- Dîner en Blanc Is the Largest, Most Extravagant Dinner Party You’ve Never Heard Of
- Meat Supplier Connected to Publix E.Coli Cases Issues Further Recall
- What Every Woman Over 50 Should Know About Her Health
- Alton Brown Cooking His Steak With Mayonnaise Is Actually a Genius Hack
- McDonald's Is Serving Poutine in Chicago for a Limited Time