This vegan gravy goes well with our Pretzel- and Cashew-Crusted Tofu, but feel free to experiment and try it on other protein mains as well, or maybe just serve it over pasta. Sautéed mushrooms give this gravy the meatiness it deserves.
- 8 Ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/2 Teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 Teaspoon dried rosemary, chopped
- 1 -2 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 Teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 Cup water
- 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons cold water
In a large saucepan, sauté the sliced mushrooms in the vegetable shortening over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the lemon pepper, dried rosemary, sage, onion powder, smoked paprika, and salt. Continue cooking for about 3 more minutes.
Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered for 30 minutes. Strain the sauce using a small mesh colander (reserve the mushrooms) and return the strained sauce to the heat.
In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch (use 1 ½ tablespoons for thinner gravy and 2 tablespoons if you like it thicker) in the cold water. Pour into the sauce, stirring constantly. Bring to a quick boil, reduce the heat, and cook for 1-2 minutes until it thickens. Add the mushrooms back into the gravy.