Upside Down Cinnamon French Toast
With only 5 ingredients, all of which you can usually find around the house, it just takes a little Sunday morning inspiration and about 25 minutes to start your day off right. If you love cinnamon sugar like I do, you will cherish the cinnamon glaze at the bottom of the pan. Actually, I recommend erring on the side of too much cinnamon sugar. If you really want to be adventurous, you can replace the milk with orange juice to add another unique flavor to the dish.
Considering my long-distance relationship with Cinnabon, the cinnamon sugary goodness of this recipe is enough for me.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: Makes 8 hearty slices of French toast
8 slices white bread (thick-sliced Texas toast, preferably)
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Melt the butter in 10 x 15 in jelly roll pan. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle it over the butter.
3. Beat eggs, milk and vanilla.
4. Dip bread in milk mixture, soaking well (tip: if you don’t have Texas toast, you can use 2 slices at once here).
5. Place soaked bread on top of cinnamon sugar/butter glaze.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until the bread is no longer spongy/soggy.
7. Use a spatula to scoop slices and place on plate with glaze side up. Pour on any excess glaze at the end.
Check out more good stuff from Spoon University here: