- 1 Pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 Cup unsalted butter, plus more for greasing Dutch oven
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Cups light cream
- 1 Cup mascarpone
- 3/4 Cups white cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for the topping
- 3/4 Cups Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 3/4 Cups Pecorino Romano, coarsely grated
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chives, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook pasta according to the box instructions, but make sure to keep it al dente. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Sprinkle in flour, and using a whisk, stir constantly for 5 minutes. Add light cream and season with salt and pepper. Increase heat and continue to stir. When liquid reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Gradually add mascarpone and all the cheeses (except 4 ounces of cheddar) in small handfuls until completely melted, creating a smooth and creamy cheese sauce.
Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and mix well until completely incorporated. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake until the edges started to bubble and the top is golden brown. Let sit for 5 minutes, garnish with chives, and serve.