I’m not a huge sweets person, but I love muffins. Every morning, it’s a breakfast dilemma between my taste buds and my heart.
Then one day, I came across these beauties from Joy the Baker (my one stop for everything yummy in this world): Too Much Cheddar and Jalapeño Muffins. For this particular batch, I used a mix of Pepper Jack, havarti and Vermont Cheddar cheese. I didn’t actually think this recipe could get better, but I was so, so wrong.
The only technical skill needed for this beautiful recipe sent from heaven? The ability to use a spoon. That’s right, y’all. Jalapeño Cheddar muffins comin’ right up.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Adapted from Joy the Baker
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons diced pickled jalapeño
12 pickled jalapeño rounds for topping
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper for topping
1. Grease a 12-muffin pan and preheat oven to 375°F. The muffins will come off easily from the pan without liners.
2. If cheese is not yet shredded, use a grater or cut cheese into thin slices.
3. In a large bowl, mix your flour, baking powder and salt together.
4. In a second smaller bowl, whisk together egg, melted butter and whole milk.
5. Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix together with a spoon.
6. Just as the mixture is about the come together, add in your mounds of cheese and diced jalapeños, and finish mixing.
7. Divide muffin batter into the greased muffin pan (about ¾ full).
8. Top your muffins with more cheese, black pepper, sea salt and a jalapeño button.
9. Bake for 20 minutes, and make sure to eat them while they’re warm with a cup of tea!