Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Since sweet potatoes are considered healthier than their classic white counterpart, I try to incorporate them into my dinners throughout the fall. I love making (and eating) mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes and even sweet potato chips. But whenever I want a challenge, I make my grandmother’s sweet potato gnocchi recipe. Try your hand at this more difficult recipe for Thanksgiving and wow your friends and family with this savory and filling side dish.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Servings: 4 dinner portions
2 lbs sweet potatoes (usually 2 or 3 — I used 2 ½)
1 egg yolk
1 ½ – 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1. Preheat over to 425°F. Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, cut side down and bake until tender for about 30-35 minutes (you’ll know it’s done if you can stick a fork in the potato and pull it out potato-free).
3. Allow sweet potatoes to cool, then scoop potato flesh into a large mixing bowl. Smash with a potato ricer, potato masher or big fork, until smooth.
4. Stir in egg yolk.
5. Mix in flour, ½ cup at a time, adding more flour until dough is damp but not sticking to your hand.
6. Over medium-high heat, heat a large pot of salted water to a boil.
7. Transfer dough to a floured surface and shape into a ball. Divide into 4 equal pieces.
8. Working with one piece, roll dough into a rope, about ½ in in diameter.
9. Cut dough rope into ½ inch pieces. Roll each piece over the tines of a fork and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
10. Repeat with the additional dough.
11. Working in 4 batches, add gnocchi to the boiling water. Cook until gnocchi rises to the surface, about 3-5 minutes.
12. Using a ladle or slotted spoon, transfer cooked gnocchi to a clean baking sheet. Repeat with rest of gnocchi.
13. When ready to eat, add gnocchi and choice of sauce or olive oil to medium skillet. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.