St. Paul is welcoming a local brewery into the old Hamm’s brewery on the east side, reports the Pioneer Press. Flat Earth Holdings, LLC, better known as Flat Earth Brewing Company, plans to move into a portion of the historic building.
In the 1950’s, Hamm’s Brewery was the fifth largest beer company in America. The history of this company is an intricate part of St. Paul’s history. In 1865, German immigrant and founder Theodore Hamm started the brewery.
The business stayed in the family for three generations and became home to the brewery’s mascot, Hamm Bear. In 1997, as neighboring companies began to vacant the east side, the brewery officially closed.
Now, the Flat Earth Brewing Company founded in 2007 hopes to take over building 7 and 8 to expand their company. They are not just doubling their space – the new space is 14 times the size (about 50,000 sq. feet) of where they are currently operating.
The beers are handcrafted and favorites among fans of local breweries. Some of the more popular beers are Cygnus X-1 Porter, named after a black hole, and Mummy Train Pumpkin Ale.