SMOKED MOZZARELLA & Heirloom Tomato Salad
The sweet anisette flavor of fennel pairs well with tomatoes and smoky mozzarella. White beans add creamy texture and additional protein to this dish. Try using a combination of heirloom tomatoes in this dish.
- 2 cups arugula leaves (1 large bunch)
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil, stems removed, leaves left whole
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes cut into small wedges
- ½ pound ball smoked or fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 (19-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
On a large platter, place the arugula. Top with a high pile of fennel in center of salad. Scatter basil leaves around platter. Make a border of tomato wedges around plate. Arrange smoked mozzarella slices around border of plate too, overlapping tomato wedges. Scatter white beans around salad. Just before serving, drizzle with olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.