Eat Your Vegetables Day is June 17 and McCall Farms is celebrating by sharing three delicious farm fresh recipes. From Southern-Style Vegetarian Gumbo to Not Just Chocolate Cupcakes, these recipes are simple, satisfying, and nutritious.
As one of America’s leading producers of canned vegetables and fruit, McCall Farms produce is picked at the peak of ripeness and immediately canned, locking in its flavor and nutrition. Not only do these Eat Your Vegetables Day recipes taste great, but they are packed with nutrients, too.
- 1 Teaspoon fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 Cup white onion, diced 1/4"
- 1/4 Cup red bell pepper, diced 1/4"
- 1/4 Cup green bell pepper, diced 1/4"
- 1 Cup vegetable broth
- 1 Cup vegetable juice cocktail, low-sodium
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomatoes, specifically Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned Tomatoes, Okra & Corn
- 1 (15 oz.) can light red kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 Teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 Cups white rice, cooked
Place the jalapeño, onion, and peppers in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan. Heat and start stirring. Add about 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Stir the vegetables occasionally until softened.
Add remaining vegetable broth, vegetable juice cocktail, Glory Foods Sensibly Seasoned Tomatoes, Okra & Corn, kidney beans, and ground black pepper.
Heat gently until the gumbo comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve with a heaping 1/4 cup of white rice in each bowl.