- 8 Cups bread such as baguette, Viennese, pumpernickel, sourdough, or a combination
- 8 Ounces breakfast sausage
- 1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 stalks celery, small diced
- 1 large red apple, small diced
- 1/2 Cup raisins, chopped
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 Cups chicken stock
- 2-3 Tablespoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes.
Lay the diced bread on a sheet tray and allow for it to dry out for about 2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Butter a large baking dish or wide, heavy pan, and set aside.
Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, and add the grapeseed oil.
Add the sausage and sauté, stirring constantly, until cooked through and golden brown, about 4 minutes.
Add the onion and celery and continue to sauté until softened.
Place the dried-out bread in a large mixing bowl, and toss with the sausage mixture.
Stir in the apple, raisins, milk and stock.
Season with sage, salt and pepper.
Whisk the eggs together in a bowl until thoroughly blended, and fold into the stuffing.
Pour the stuffing into the prepared dish and bake, uncovered, until the top is golden brown and crisp, about 1 hour.