One-Pot Meatball Orzo & Broccoli Rabe Casserole
This one-pot dish from Katie Workman turns super-convenient, frozen meatballs into a creamy, slightly cheesy main dish, complete with the vegetables built right in!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 Cups roughly chopped broccoli rabe
- 1 Teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 Cup chopped onion
- 16 Ounces package of orzo
- 4 Cups less-sodium chicken stock
- 26 Ounces pkg. of frozen meatballs, such as Rosina Homestyle Meatballs (or Italian/Turkey)
- 1/2 Cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium high heat. Add the garlic, broccoli rabe, hot pepper flakes, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the broccoli rabe is crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer the broccoli rabe to a plate.
Return the pot to medium high heat, add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, and then add the onions. Sauté the onions for 2 minutes, then add the orzo. Cook, stirring frequently until the orzo turns lightly golden and is coated with the oil, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth and the frozen meatballs, stir, cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to keep the liquid at a simmer, partially cover the pot, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the meatballs are cooked through and the orzo is tender and has absorbed almost all of the liquid. Stir in the cooked broccoli rabe and the Parmigiano-Reggiano, and serve hot, with extra cheese on the side for sprinkling.