It's almost Memorial Day Weekend and the living is easy! Well, ALMOST. You may find it to be more difficult to eat healthy at all of the cookouts and outdoor parties that will be taking place this weekend. When most people think of a cookout, they have dreams of hot dogs, hamburgers, creamy potato salad, and chips — all foods that can wreak havoc on your waistline.
Get ready to adjust your Memorial Day Weekend shopping lists! This healthy and delicious summer recipe is brought to you by Medifast's new Simply Well™: An Everyday, Healthy Cookbook.
- 1/4 Cup chopped jalapeño pepper
- Ounce Cooking spray
- 12.5 Ounces can low-sodium chicken breast (in water), drained
- 6 Ounces avocado, mashed
- 1/2 Cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 Cups shredded, low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 Teaspoon chili powder
- 24 mini bell peppers, halved with stem, seeds, and membranes removed
- 1/4 Cup chopped scallions
Sauté the diced jalapeño in a lightly greased skillet until tender.
Mix the jalapeño, chicken, avocado, yogurt, one cup of cheese, and chili powder in a medium bowl.
Arrange the mini bell peppers in a single layer in a large casserole dish. Fill with chicken mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and broil until cheese has melted, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Garnish with scallions and serve with salsa, if desired.