It's fiesta time! Pillsbury’s take on a cheesy-sausage mix with a fresh avocado topper. This recipe comes from one of the 100 finalists in the 47th Pillsbury Bake-Off Contest. Try more recipes like these by visiting www.BakeOff.com.
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large lemon (2 teaspoons grated peel and 4½ teaspoons juice)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 10-ounce box frozen corn, such as Green Giant™ Steamers™ Niblets™ frozen corn & butter sauce
- 6 Ounces bulk chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 1 can refrigerated original biscuits (8 biscuits), such as Pillsbury™ Grands!™ Flaky Layers
- 2 Tablespoons corn oil, such as Crisco® Pure Corn Oil
- 1 Cup shredded pepper jack cheese (about 4 ounces)
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix the avocado, lemon peel, lemon juice, ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Cover and refrigerate. Microwave the corn as directed on the box. Pour the corn into a medium bowl.
Meanwhile, in 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked. Drain on paper towels. Wipe the skillet clean, and add the sausage to the corn.
Separate the dough into 8 biscuits; cut each biscuit evenly into 3 wedges. Press or roll each wedge to form 3-inch rounds.
In the same skillet, heat 1½ teaspoons of the oil over medium heat. Add 6 of the biscuit rounds; cook until golden brown and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet; keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining biscuit rounds, adding 1½ teaspoons of the oil to skillet for each batch.
Top each biscuit round with 1 tablespoon of the sausage mixture and 2 teaspoons of the cheese. Bake until heated through and the cheese melts, 4 to 5 minutes. Top each evenly with some avocado mixture. Serve warm.