Finnan Haddie à la Davis Recipe
“As promised, I append my favorite Sunday morning breakfast dish.” — Bette Davis
- 2 pounds finnan haddie
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons flour, well blended
Soak the finnan haddie for 2 hours in cold water. Then boil slowly for 30 minutes, then separate into flakes.
Make a sauce with the onion, peppers, butter, paprika, and flour.
Add the milk, mix all well together, and cook until thickened, then add the finnan haddie. Serve with small pieces of toast around the dish.