This easy chicken salad sandwich recipe is the Grand Prize Winner ofArnold Bread’s first-ever “America’s Better Sandwich” Contest. Mary Hawkes of Prescott, Arizona will be awarded $25,000 for the creation of her recipe: Fast ‘N’ Fresh Curried Chicken Salad Sandwich. Mary’s recipe beat out over a thousand other recipes and was the top choice among 12 finalists!
- 1/3 Cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon apricot jam
- 1 Tablespoon nonfat mayonnaise
- 1/2 Teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 Cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1/4 Cup quartered seedless green grapes
- 3 Tablespoons matchstick-cut (or coarsely shredded) carrots
- 3 Tablespoons thinly sliced celery
- 3 Tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 3 Tablespoons golden raisins
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, such as Arnold, Brownberry, or Oroweat Whole Grains
- 1/2 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup packed fresh baby spinach leaves
Combine the yogurt, jam, mayonnaise, curry, and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Remove and reserve 2 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture.
Add the chicken, grapes, carrots, celery, almonds, and raisins to the yogurt mixture in bowl; mix well.
To assemble the sandwiches, place 2 slices of the bread on a flat surface. Divide the chicken salad on each, spreading evenly. Top evenly with apple slices and spinach. Spread the reserved yogurt on one side of each of the 2 remaining slices of bread; place on top, yogurt-side in. Cut each in half and serve.