- 4 thick-cut bacon slices, diced
- 1 Pound cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
Step 1: In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, sauté 4 thick-cut diced bacon slices until crisp.
Step 2: Remove the bacon pieces and set aside. To the rendered fat in the pan, add 1 pound chopped cabbage and 1 large diced onion. Cover the pan and sauté on low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
Step 3: In the meantime, to a 5-quart stockpot, add 2 1/2 pounds peeled and chopped Yukon gold potatoes. Cover the potatoes with water and add 1 tablespoon of salt. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
Step 4: When the potatoes are done, drain and place them into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the cooked bacon, the finished cabbage and onion mixture, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Mix on low speed until mashed.