Broccoli Rabe and Shiitake Penne Pasta
Broccoli rabe is complemented by the umami flavors of the shiitake mushrooms, and walnuts add an unexpected crunch as well as some healthy fats. With the added kick of mustard and vinegar, this pasta hits the entire palette, but is still simple enough to put together for an easy weeknight meal.
This recipe is provided by Andy Boy.
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe (about 1 pound), stems and leaves cut into 1” pieces
- 8 Ounces brown rice penne pasta
- 1 Teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, more for drizzling
- 2 shallots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 Cups mixed mushrooms (about 8 ounces), de-stemmed and chopped (mix of cremini & shiitakes)
- 1 Teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 Cup almond milk or heavy cream (almond milk, if vegan)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 big squeeze of lemon
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 Cup shaved Parmesan cheese, divided (optional, skip if vegan)
- 1/4 Cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 Cup panko bread crumbs, toasted (optional, skip if gluten-free)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water. Boil the broccoli rabe for about one minute, until it becomes bright green and is slightly tender but still has some bite.
Scoop it out of the boiling water and into the ice water. Let cool for about one minute then drain, shaking out excess water. Set aside.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until almost translucent, 2-3 minutes.
Add the garlic, mushrooms, and a few generous pinches of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms cook down.
Add the balsamic vinegar and stir, getting any bits of mushrooms that might be stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Add the almond milk and Dijon mustard and stir to combine. Add the broccoli rabe and stir again.
Add a big squeeze of lemon, stir, then add the cooked penne pasta, red pepper flakes, and half of the Parmesan cheese, if using. Stir to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Top with the walnuts, remaining parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, if using, and serve.