*Pilaf can be prepared up to one day in advance of serving. Cool to store in the fridge and reheat to serve.
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 Cup pearl barley
- 1/2 Cup wheat berries
- 1/4 Cup millet
- 1/2 Cup wild rice, rinsed
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (any mixture of parsley, thyme, oregano, chives, etc. per your preference)
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large ovenproof pot with a tightfitting lid, melt butter over low heat. Add oil, garlic, and onion.
Cook until onions are softened and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium high and add mushrooms. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add grains and stir well, coating them with oil. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot and put in oven.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and cook a little longer if grains need to be softer. Fold in chopped herbs.
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.*